Here is a list of things you want to make sure you do this fall, while the weather is warm to prepare your home, yard, and garage for the winter ahead.
- Change furnace filter, have ducts professionally cleaned, and schedule your fall furnace maintenance check-up.
- Reverse ceiling fan blades to push warmer air down.
- If applicable, install your storm windows.
- Clean dryer vent, pellet stove vents, fireplace chimneys, and make sure exhaust fans in the kitchen and bathroom are working properly.
- Change filters in humidifiers. Clean and store dehumidifiers.
- Replenish sidewalk salt supply and re-discover the shovels
- Properly dispose of household hazardous waste such as used oil, cleaners, solvents, and other items you no longer need.
- Move items into the basement that should not freeze such as paint and caulk.
- Detach garden hoses from your outside faucets before it freezes so you don’t break the faucet and deal with leaks.
- Check your sump pump hose for leaks and make sure it’s attached securely.
- Fertilize yard with slow release winter fertilizer
- Mulch leaves and grass when possible.
- Clean the debris out of your gutters and downspouts.
- Trim branches growing close to power lines and call in the professionals if they are too close. Also trim branches close to your roof.
- Put reflector stakes in the ground along your driveway or landscaping before the ground freezes.
If there is anything on your fall “to-do” list we can help with, give us a call!